Now the new brochure from Umeå Tourist Information is available. You can download the brochure here.
You can find inspiration for Shopping, Restaurants, Winter Events and Excursions, and much more .
PLanning a shopping trip to Umeå for some Christmas shopping? Get in touch if you are looking for a place to stay. We would be happy to give you some tips on what so see and do and where to go shopping for the most special gifts. Some shopping areas:
- Centrum with traffic free shopping street and several malls (Saga, MVG , Utopia,…)
- IKEA area with Avion Shoping Centre
- Strömpilen shopping area
If you want to do something during the evening, why not go to a Christmas Concert. Take a look at the calender of the Tourist office for some suggestions: visitumea.se
Combine your shopping trip with a visit to one of many Christmas Markets in Umeå and neigbouring villages. Here you can find arts, crafts, cookies and cakes and much more. Here is a list for the 2016 Christmas Markets :
UEFF is a recurring favorite in Umeå. Every year the festival treats us to lovely movies which are an answer to the blockbusters from the USA. The program for 2016 is announced on Thursday November 3rd.
But the most fun event of the Festival is already known: Sing-along with Grease. The classical musical with Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta. Tickets are already out for sale.
And don’t forget that he Fesitavl cannot hapen without the hel of volunteers. So if you want to help out, contact UEFF.
Umeå was Cultural Capital of Europe in 2014. Though that might be a few years ago already, there is still a lot to discover in Umeå. Many of the towns museums are free of charge, so why not try out something new? You might learn something new or find something you like. So here is a list with Top 5 Free museums to visit in Umeå.
- The Museum of Womens History or Kvinnohistoriska museet is located in the Cultural Centre Väven in the city centre, in the same building as the City Library and Folkets Bio. The museum has permanent and temporary exhibitions about gender, history and identity.
Kvinnohistoriskt Museum Umeå
- The outdoor Skulpturparken or Sculpture Park has about 200 sculptures on display. The park is in the city area Umedalen and can be visited every day all year round.
- At Västerbottens Museum you can find many interesting things to see and do. The area is also referred to as Gammlia. The park has many typical historic buildings from the province Västerbotten and the northern part of Sweden. The houses are open for visitors during the summer months and during special events, but even when closed it is a lovely area to go for a walk. Many of the houses have information signs in Swedish and English. The area is walking distance from Umeå University.
Gammlia outdoor museum
- Another part of Västerbottens Museum is the exhibition with the photographs made by Sune Jonsson. He was a local photographer, contracted by the museum, who made many pictures of the daily life in the province of Västerbotten. The many black and white pictures show the soul of the people captured through the lens.
Sune Jonsson Museum
- The Bildmuseet or Picture Museum has many see worthy things. First of all the building itself from the award winning architect Henning Larssen. Next, the artwork on display outside the museum. Then, the stunning view over the Ume river from inside the building makes it a perfect spot to watch sunset and sunrise wintertime. Last but not least of all are the temporary exhibitions, which have included works by many world-famous artists. Check out the list of previous exhibitions.
Looking for a place to eat in Umeå without breaking the bank?
Here are some insider tips:
- Most restaurants offer a good lunch or lunch buffet for about 95 kr. Drinks and coffee included. Check out the restaurants own website or Facebook page to find out what is on the menu, check the signs outside their doors or check the local newspaper where some restaurants post ads or the website: http://mega.vk.se/lunchguiden/
- Every Sunday, apart from the last Sunday of each month, you can eat a vegan meal for 25 SEK at Folkkök at Hamnmagasinet close by from the cultural centre and library at Väven. More info: http://folkkok.se/
- Ikea is a new addition in town. They also have a restaurant where they serve warm meals, some starting from 29 SEK. Check their website to find out more. And remember if you go there on a weekday you also get a free cup of coffee if you are a member of Ikea Family. More info on the Ikea website.
- Something typical for Umeå is “rullpizza”. You buy it at one of the food stalls at the square in the city centre, called Umeå Grillen. Price is 50-60 SEK depending on what kind of pizza you take. But what is it: you order a normal pizza, and then when it is ready they toss some lettuce, sliced tomato, some onions and peppers on top. The finishing touch is salad dressings, spicy sauce and spicy oil. Then it is rolled up, and you eat it as a wrap. Delicious and easy to eat.
Hope you find something you like!
Every year in February, Umeå organizes a snow sculpture contest.
Umeå Snöskulpturmästerskap – Umeå Snow Sculpture Contest
In 2016, the event will take place for the 25th time in Umeå. This year you can see the artists at work at Rådhusesplanaden on Friday February 5th and Saturday February 6th.
If you want to know what can become of the anonymous block of snow shown on the picture, visit Umeå this week-end.
Interested in tattoos? A fan of this art-form? Or maybe you just want to find out more about tattoos? Then consider visiting Ume Tattoo Fest at the Nolia fairgrounds between September 23rd and September 26th 2016.
Ume Tattoo Fest
Ume Tattoo Fest is an international tattoo fair with participants from many different countries. Besides tattoo artists and info about tattoos, there is much more to see: piercing, tattoo removal, clothes, hair, jewellery and much more.
More info about the fair can be found here: Ume Tattoo Fest homepage.
It goes without saying that you are always welcome to stay with us at Bed & Breakfast Umeå when you are visiting the fair these days.